Health and disability
Medicines and Prescribing
Protected titles
Regulation of further groups
The Register
Other regulators

Health and social care regulators
CQC and Monitor
UK social work regulation
The Professional Standards Authority for Health and Social Care
Health Regulation Worldwide

Vetting and barring
Visiting European health or social work professionals
Social work regulation in England
The Health and Care Professions Tribunal Service
Home > About regulation > Other regulators > Health and social care regulators

Health and social care regulators

There are 12 organisations in the United Kingdom known as health and social care regulators. Each oversees the health and social care professions by regulating individual professionals.

These organisations were set up to protect the public so that whenever you see a health, psychological, or social care professional, you can be sure they meet professional standards.

Who is registered?
Anyone from one of the professions listed below must register with the relevant regulator. If they are not, then they are breaking the law and we can prosecute them. The registers are made up of only those professionals who have demonstrated that they have met high professionalstandards.

Because regulation is so important to standards of treatment and care, these registers are open to the public. So if you want to check your professional is registered, you can do this online or call the relevant regulator.

How can you find out more?
Please get in touch with with the relevant regulator if you want to know more. Full contact details and website addresses are listed below.

  • The General Chiropractic Council (GCC)
    Regulates: Chiropractors
    Tel: 020 7713 5155
    Website: www.gcc-uk.org

  • The General Dental Council (GDC)
    Regulates: Dentists, dental therapists, dental nurses, dental technicians, clinical dental technicians, and orthodontic therapists.
    Tel: 020 7887 3800.
    Website: www.gdc-uk.org

  • The General Medical Council (GMC)
    Regulates: Doctors
    Tel: 0845 357 8001
    Website: www.gmc-uk.org

  • The General Optical Council (GOC)
    Regulates: Dispensing opticians and optometrists
    Tel: 020 7580 3898
    Website: www.optical.org

  • The General Osteopathic Council (GOsC)
    Regulates: Osteopaths
    Tel: 020 7357 6655
    Website: www.osteopathy.org.uk

  • The Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
    Regulates: Arts therapists, Biomedical Scientists, Chiropodists/ Podiatrists, Clinical Scientists, Dieticians, Hearing Aid Dispensers, Occupational Therapists, Operating Department Practitioners, Orthoptists, Paramedics, Physiotherapists, Practitioner Psychologists, Prosthetists and Orthotists, Radiographers, Social workers in England and Speech and Language Therapists
    Tel: 44 (0)845 300 6184
    Website: www.hcpc-uk.org

  • The Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC)
    Regulates: Nurses, midwives, and specialist community public health nurses.
    Tel: 020 7333 6622
    Website: www.nmc-uk.org

  • General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC)
    Regulates: pharmacists, pharmacy technicians, and pharmacy premises.
    Tel: 020 3713 8000
    Website: www.pharmacyregulation.org

  • Pharmaceutical Society of Northern Ireland (PSNI)
    Regulates: Pharmacists and pharmacy premises in Northern Ireland
    Tel: 028 9032 6927
    Website: www.psni.org.uk

  • Northern Ireland Social Care Council (NISCC)
    Regulates the social care workforce (Northern Ireland only)
    Tel: 028 9041 7600
    Website: www.niscc.info

  • Social Care Wales
    Social care workforce regulator (Wales only)
    Tel: 029 2022 6257
    Website: www.socialcare.wales

  • Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC)
    Responsible for registering people who work in social services (Scotland only)
    Tel: 0845 60 30 891
    Website: www.sssc.uk.com

Print  Print page