Health and disability

Our work on health, disability and registration
Process of becoming a health and care professional
Choosing and applying for an approved programme
Completing an approved programme
Applying for HCPC registration
Gaining employment
Health and disability case studies
Other useful organisations

Medicines and Prescribing
Protected titles
Regulation of further groups
The Register
Other regulators
Vetting and barring
Visiting European health or social work professionals
Social work regulation in England
The Health and Care Professions Tribunal Service
Home > About regulation > Health and disability

Health and disability

As a regulator of health and care professionals, we have a responsibility to ensure that we set up processes which are fair to disabled people, and to people whose fitness to practise may be impaired because of their health. We also need to ensure that we uphold our standards, in order to protect the public.

We want to make sure that we have processes for dealing with health professionals whose health or disability may affect their fitness to practise.

We also realise that there are many health conditions and many disabilities which do not affect someone's fitness to practise. Many people who have a condition, or who are disabled, can register, and practise their profession safely and effectively throughout their career and will never need to interact with us any more than any other registrant. Find out more here.

Health, disability and becoming a health and care professional

We have produced guidance on becoming a health and care professional which you may find useful if you are:

  • a disabled person who is considering becoming a health and care professional;
  • a disabled student who is training to become a health and care professional;
  • a careers advisor who is giving advice to disabled people;
  • working in education and training and making decisions about disabled students applying to an approved programme;
  • teaching, supervising or supporting disabled students on approved programmes or practice placements; or
  • an occupational health professional making assessments about disabled students.

Click here to download the publication.
You can also view the information in this section of the website, and watch our video below:

Print  Print page